The Full Results Update and Brush Download HERE.
This exercise was a true gem! Below is a step by step on how I created each of the gemstones from the exercise practice sheet. I broke it down into each significant step on what was included or added:
- Outline - Begin with the shape of each gem, do research if you're looking for a specific cut! Try to do this on a separate layer to hide in step 4.
- Solid Base - Choose a color and try working in a darker value shade of that hue.
- Color Variants - This is when we start to create the illusion of faceting, when each "plane" of a gem will catch the light and reflect it at a slightly different value of that same hue. Think about where the light source is coming from as well.
- Remove Outlines and Add Gradients - This will give the gem a solid foundation from here to detail further! Subtle gradients will add that extra touch of realism.
- Sharp Angles Brush - The intense sharp angles that are seen in gems can be recreated with an angles brush set to overlay or multiply. You can download our brush HERE.
- Highlights - Work along the edges of the different facets and this will give the gem a sense of realism along with separating the planes from one another.
- Detailing and Polishing - Add any final detail and "polishing" to give your gem an extra something to make it stand out. I also like working in the shadows and pop in some color.
I'm jeweler and gem cutter, so I just love this
How do you remove the outlines?
thanks for sharing this!
This is really helpful!! =O Really awesome work!! <3
thank you for making this! It helped me a lot!
All of these are absolutely fantastic :3 thank you so much
Thank you very much for making this! This has to be the best gem tutorial I've seen in a bit o.o
I am terrible at making anything look realistic and these are just gorgeous! Thank you so much!
Very helpful, thank you!
i ain't good at the simetry
Oh my! I should've seen this earlier! Thank you for the turorial
Thank you for this great tutorial ^^
Thank you very much for tutorials. Very useful. Going to spend my free time for study it.
Thank you so much for this! I dove into trying to draw a gem so fast that I didn't even think to look up a specific cut. This is so helpful.
This is great! Thank you so much!
thanks for this, it helped me figure out why some gems i were coloring didn't look right! :3
Thanks for the helpful knowledge!
Very cool tutorial. Some of the more advanced ones look so professional in outline already. Envious of the skill!
It looks so realistic! O.O
Wow is great!!
can i download it?
You have download button at right. Click it and you will get the full resolution picture. After that just right click at it and select save as and save it
Neat, I rarely ever painted such gems and hadn't thought of segmenting the shapes first.
Thanks for tutorial
The last gem is too real :0 Awesome!
Another excellent piece, love the step by step and gridded break down
muy bonitas , me gustan ,tratare de emularlas con acuarelas
this is so amazing!
Awesome! Thank you for sharing this!
I'm really loving these exercises!! They're really teaching me how to handle gem lighting!
Thank for showing this, and all the other examples.
Oh my, I absolutely love them! that's hard to do but with pratice can resolve all or parzial, ahaha ;w;
these are so beautiful *o*
wonderful tutorial c:
wonderful tutorial c: